- UKZN has five campuses in Durban and Pietermaritzburg with four Colleges and 19 Schools offering approximately 2 000 academic programmes.
- UKZN is a truly South African university that reflects the diverse society in which it is situated. As an institution of higher learning, it is committed to academic excellence, innovative research and critical engagement with society.
- UKZN is globally connected University of African Scholarship with an international reputation for academic excellence, outstanding research output. We have links with over 200 international institutions, which facilitate ongoing collaborative academic partnerships.
The Guide to South African Higher Education | 18th Edition
University of KwaZulu-Natal
One of the largest residential universities in South Africa, the University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN) consolidates the resources, infrastructure and intellectual capital of two major regional universities following, the merger of the Universities of Natal and Durban-Westville. The University is committed to academic excellence and advances knowledge through globally competitive teaching, learning, scholarship, research, innovation and academic freedom. UKZN has approximately 49 000 students and offers an extensive suite of programmes at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, on five campuses, and the expertise of South Africa’s leading academics and internationally acclaimed scientists.
The University strives to provide an enabling environment for all its students to ensure their individual intellectual development.
Why Choose UKZN:
A Choice of Campuses
- The Edgewood Campus in Pinetown is the University’s primary site for teacher education and the home of the School of Education. The campus offers sophisticated and attractive facilities to a growing number of Education students.
- The Howard College Campus offers a full range of degree options in the fields of Engineering, Law, Humanities, Development and Social Sciences, and Nursing. The campus is situated in the vibrant coastal city of Durban, renowned for its beaches and coastal resorts.
- A buzzing centre of academic excellence only ten minutes away from Durban’s city centre, since its inception in 1950 the Medical School has committed itself to produce highly qualified and experienced medical practitioners dedicated to improving the quality of life for all South Africans.
- The Pietermaritzburg Campus offers a wide range of innovative academic programmes which have been successful in responding to local and provincial needs in Science and Agriculture, Humanities, Development and Social Sciences, Education, and Law and Management Studies. Unique to this campus are the disciplines of Agriculture, Theology and Visual Art.
- The Westville Campus is the administrative headquarters of UKZN. The campus offers programmes in Science, Management Studies and Health Sciences. Located within an environmental conservancy about eight kilometres from the central business districts of Durban and Pinetown, the Westville campus combines state-of-the-art infrastructure with beautiful natural surroundings.
Colleges and Schools:
- Agriculture, Engineering and Science
- Health Sciences
- Law and Management Studies
University of KwaZulu-Natal
4th Floor, Rick Turner Student’s Union Building
King George V Avenue
Tel: 27 31 260 3078
Tel: +27 31 260 1238
Tel: +27 31 260 2819